2011 marks 10 years of snowshoeing for The Yeti. We are very proud of what we have achieved but always want take it to the next level. New for 2011, The Yeti XC is offering Canada’s first Winter Duathlon. Cross Country (XC) skiing will be incorporated into our snowshoe events. We are still offering the Snowshoe Sport (approx. 5km) and Enduro (approx. 10km) courses, but if you are looking for a new challenge this winter, try our Winter Duathlon as a Solo or team of 2.
The Yeti Snowshoe Sport course is a great option for the beginner snowshoer, and our Snowshoe Enduro course will give any runner or hiker the challenge they’re looking for. These courses are designed so you can use all your snowshoe skills like climbing, descending and winding yourself through undulating single-track while doing it all at a faster pace.
Don’t be intimidated, anyone can snowshoe and these courses will be a challenge to anyone, whether you run or hike! Frontrunners will take about half an hour for the Sport course and the back of the packers will take about an hour
For more information check out http://www.theyeti.ca
- Date: Saturday, January 29, 2011
- Location: Mount Washington Ski Resort
- Registration Deadline: Pre-Registration: Wednesday January 26th at midnight.
- Day of race registration is also offered.
- Registration: Click here to register.
- Directions: Mount Washington is located 25 km west of the Comox Valley, 50 km south of Campbell River and 100 km north of Nanaimo, on Vancouver Island. The Nanaimo Ferry terminals are serviced from Horseshoe Bay and Tsawwassen on the Lower Mainland. Call BC Ferries for schedules at 1-888-223-3779 or visit www.bcferries.com. To view a map click here.
- Check-in & Race Day Registration: 9am at the Raven Lodge
- Start Time: 11am for Sport, Enduro and Winter Duathlon
- Distance: Sport Course (~5km) and Enduro (~10km) Winter Duathlon (Sport Course / 10km ski / Sport Course)
- Terrain: Cat track, single track, powder sections, hiking trails and some hills.
- Refreshments: Energy Drink, fruit, bagels, cookies and much more. You won’t leave hungry. Don’t forget to bring some money in case you want to have lunch at the Raven Lodge.
- Washrooms: Located inside the Raven Lodge.
- Parking: There is plenty of parking outside the Raven Lodge.
- First Aid: There will be First Aid at the finish line and also as the course sweep. We will be able to access anyone on course in the event of an emergency.
- Spectators: There will be First Aid at the finish line and also as the course sweep. We will be able to access anyone on course in the event of an emergency.
- Awards/Prizing: As soon as the last person arrives. We are known for the great prizes we give out so you don’t want to miss out. You have to be there to win!
- Snowshoe Rentals: The Yeti has snowshoes available to rent for all races. Click here for details.
- Course Map:
- Riding Fool Hostel – www.ridingfool.com – 1.800.313.FOOL
- Shantz Haus Hostel – www.shantzhostel.com – 1.866 603 2060
- Coast Westerly – www.coastwesterlyhotel.com – 1.800 668.7797
- Mount Washington – www.mountwashington.ca
- Results: Will be posted shortly after the race.
- Kids Race: Entry is free for children under 10 with paid adult entry. Each racer receives a race number, a pair of snowshoes to use for the race, and a picture with the Yeti. Each participant must register on race day morning and a parent/guardian must sign a waiver.